Well it is Friday and after a tough week what better way to welcome in the weekend with a bit of light entertainment.
A colleague recently shared this video with me and although quite funny it does have some very serious points. Spreadsheets are at the core of alot of businesses and as great a tools as they can be in the wrong hands they can be equally dangerous and costly to a business.
Watch the video and have a chuckle and then maybe take an opportunity to reflect on the use of spreadsheets in your business.
Try asking yourself the following questions:
- Are you using spreadsheets becuase they are convenient rather than implementing proper systems?
- Do you understand all of the various formula's calculations in the spreadsheets you look at or do you just assume them to be correct becuase they were written by someone else
- Do you have standards in your business for reporting / information sharing or do different managers in your business create their own spreadsheets / reports with no management direction.
- How accurate / up to date is the information in the spreadsheet report you are looking at.
- How do you verify it is up to date? Or are you taking the word of the person who sent it to you.
- Do people manipulate numbers in spreadsheets to make their projects / themselves look better than they really are? How do you stop this?
If you are still running your business on spreadsheets and you feel it is time to stop, we are happy to discuss how we may assist you in removing the spreadsheet risk from your business.
Enjoy the weekend
The Workbench Team